Frequently asked questions for self help.
Knowledge base article 158Cannot start any Ability program - Windows error message (GPF)
This can happen for a variety of reasons. Try the following steps:
1. Ability not installed correctly
First, try uninstall and re-install from our website Download section.
2. Windows compatibility mode set (when it should not be).
Select Start/Programs/Ability Office 6 and right-click over say Ability Spreadsheet. Click the comaptibility tab. Make sure that No compatibility is set and the tick box is clear as shown in the following screen shot:
3. Try "clean" install
- Login as a user with Admin privilages.
- Uninstall Ability.
- Start Windows Explorer and browse to your program directory - this is usually Program Files (Note: x64 bit Windows will use Program Files (x86).
- If you see a "Ability Office 6" folder (or Ability Office 5) delete it.
- Re-install from our website Download section.
4. Final measure - contact support with a note on the error message you get on starting Ability.